- I love Letterman, he’s hilarious and unafraid to jab Anna Wintour for being, “aloof, bitchy and mean to the staff.” Then he claims to be wearing a Vera Wang head piece (Letterman lowered his head to expose his receding hairline) just for Anna Wintour.
On an unrelated note pertaining to Obama (I can’t resist):
- According to Letterman, Obama is staying at a 30k/week beach house at Martha’s Vineyard to unwind. Letterman quips, “and to think people say that he’s a socialist.”
I love it!
Finally the Anna Wintour interview!
- She’s in a floral black and white print dress sporting her signature bob and oversize eye glasses.
- She just critiqued his socks and referred Letterman to Tom Brown’s pants that are cut to expose the socks.
- I commend Wintour for being a good sport about the NYT attacks on her personality. “I read in the New York Times this week that I’m an Ice Queen, I’m the Sun King, I’m an alien fleeing from District 9 and a dominatrix. I reckon that makes me a lukewarm royalty with a whip from out of space. What do you think?”
- Addressing the rumors instigated by The Devil Wears Prada, David Letterman says about Wintour that people say, “She’s tough Look out. Oh well, she’ll chew you up and chew you up and then fire you and chew you up and spit you into a cab.” Then he asks Wintour if she ever put anyone in a headlock. Wintour responds, “Maybe you.”
- Letterman asks Anna Wintour what someone, who has $20 in their fashion budget, could buy? She responds, “They could buy a lipstick.”
- Wintour and Letterman are going at it. Letterman asks whether major changes are made only a week before the deadline. Wintour replies, “yes” and that the magazine industry is unlike the TV industry, referencing how Letterman called Wintour to guest star in the ‘last minute’ (three days ago).
Commercial break. She didn’t seem too comfortable. Her false grin and gesticulation — rubbing her hands together — gives it away.
- After the break, Letterman showed a clip from The September Issue exposing the extent of Anna Wintour’s “100%” say in the final product. He got my hopes up when he told us that Anna Wintour would be hitting baseballs. I should have known better. Oh well.
— Francis Bea