Brittany Murphy was rushed to Cedars Sinai Medical Center today and was pronounced dead on arrival at the young age of 32 after a purported cardiac arrest. We all fell in love with her in Clueless and even 8-Mile (admit it) but another celebrity death at such a young age has to unseat us from our high horses and make us come to grips with our own mortality. It’s an unsettling year for celebrities.
- I love Letterman, he’s hilarious and unafraid to jab Anna Wintour for being, “aloof, bitchy and mean to the staff.” Then he claims to be wearing a Vera Wang head piece (Letterman lowered his head to expose his receding hairline) just for Anna Wintour.
On an unrelated note pertaining to Obama (I can’t resist):
- According to Letterman, Obama is staying at a 30k/week beach house at Martha’s Vineyard to unwind. Letterman quips, “and to think people say that he’s a socialist.”
I love it!
Finally the Anna Wintour interview!
- She’s in a floral black and white print dress sporting her signature bob and oversize eye glasses.
- She just critiqued his socks and referred Letterman to Tom Brown’s pants that are cut to expose the socks.
- I commend Wintour for being a good sport about the NYT attacks on her personality. “I read in the New York Times this week that I’m an Ice Queen, I’m the Sun King, I’m an alien fleeing from District 9 and a dominatrix. I reckon that makes me a lukewarm royalty with a whip from out of space. What do you think?”
- Addressing the rumors instigated by The Devil Wears Prada, David Letterman says about Wintour that people say, “She’s tough Look out. Oh well, she’ll chew you up and chew you up and then fire you and chew you up and spit you into a cab.” Then he asks Wintour if she ever put anyone in a headlock. Wintour responds, “Maybe you.”
- Letterman asks Anna Wintour what someone, who has $20 in their fashion budget, could buy? She responds, “They could buy a lipstick.”
- Wintour and Letterman are going at it. Letterman asks whether major changes are made only a week before the deadline. Wintour replies, “yes” and that the magazine industry is unlike the TV industry, referencing how Letterman called Wintour to guest star in the ‘last minute’ (three days ago).
Commercial break. She didn’t seem too comfortable. Her false grin and gesticulation — rubbing her hands together — gives it away.
- After the break, Letterman showed a clip from The September Issue exposing the extent of Anna Wintour’s “100%” say in the final product. He got my hopes up when he told us that Anna Wintour would be hitting baseballs. I should have known better. Oh well.
— Francis Bea
I know you wanted this and now I’m giving it to you. After watching that second clip, I can see why people are buzzing about Grace Coddington. She’s the likeable heroine if I do say so myself — besides, she has been overshadowed by Anna Wintour, and it’s about time that credit has been given when it has been deserved.
Filed under Film, Sneak Peak
Photo: Getty Images Photo:Sherly Rabbani and Josephine Solimene via Style.com
Marc Jacobs and his fiance attended the ‘September Issue’ screening yesterday (left). His fiance appeared in nerd-chic once again, but MJ appears to be in the same exact outfit he graced the ‘Inglorious Basterds’ screening with just the night before (right). He must be a busy man to be unable to change. He barely pulls off that man-skirt in the first place but what’s he clutching? I don’t approve.
If that’s what he wears to tennis practice, what does he wear to bed?